Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Catch Up



Saturday night I attended the Nashville Children's Theater production of Peter Pan. Claire's oldest friend Natalie Mae Phillips had a part as one of the "lost boys" and did a great job. (Picture top left- Natalie, Bella, Claire)I haven't laughed so hard in a while....these were some talented young people who were quick enough to ad lib at the appropriate times. Ryan called just before the show and it sounded like he and Amanda were having a great Saturday afternoon as usual. Gosh I miss the two of them. I know they love LA but it is sooooo far away. (See picture top right)

Monday I met with Brice and we spent a lot of time working with the heart monitor and getting me accustomed to where my aerobic level was and how it felt to stay within those limits. He told me how he had slowed from a 5 minute mile to around 10 minute mile when he first started using the Maffetone Method but after only a month he has increased his speed AND has had no injuries and feels so much stronger.

Yesterday, was my first day using the heart monitor and as Brice had told me it was frustrating. I even followed the recommendation that Brice gave to "warm" up and walked slow for about 8 minutes. Having gotten back into running it was difficult to "listen" to the monitor beeping when I went over range and had to slow down and walk. When I slowed down the monitor complained again for me to speed up so then I was back jogging again. I think it will take a few times and some patience for me to learn to keep my heart within the aerobic range. http://www.rrca.org/resources/articles/slowdown.html At this point in the game it appears that I need to walk to stay within my range (14.5 pace) so I found myself walking most of the way for the 5 miles. For the next 5 weeks until the Country I have planned on following the Maffetone method. I really want to retrain myself to become a stronger runner for the Disney Marathon. So day (1) and my foot did not bother me nor my right - ham string. Yeah!

Today is Wednesday and an "off" day for running or walking but true to form I went to a Pilate's class. Only 30 minutes of good core work and no aerobic.

The emails are coming in from the Fleet Feet Country Trainer. Apparently, many from the 1/2 training group are getting nervous about the 12 miles coming up on Saturday. Add to that the fact that the weatherman is calling for rain which leaves many people wondering whether they can complete yet one more long run in the cold rain. My answer............just do it!

2 comments: